Monday, October 19, 2009

Week 7 Taking Stock Precedent Research

To further my research for the Hatchery I personally visited stores down town Greensboro to get a feel of the demographic. Shops like Just Be, and Elsewhere. The Green Bean coffee shop is another to add to the list. Last weekend I visited The Moma and also saw a show on Broadway. I was able to see how people react to observing, acting, enjoyment, and meeting. All are qualities which reflect the feeling of The Hatchery. In order to have this collaboration of fine arts a great organization of spaces must be created. Here is my research to begin this journey.

Let's take a walk downtown...


Picture taken from link : www.greensboro-nc.gov/.../streetscape/

My first visit was to Just Be : 352 S Elm St Greensboro, NC 27401

Just Be caught my attention since the moment I approached the store. The whimsical writing and display of hand made cards in the window fluttered character. I love the way local art was displayed around the store that was on sale. Just Be gave me great ideas for the retail side of The Hatchery, and how to piece together art made by students.


Picture taken from link :commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Soap_bubbles-

My second stop was Elsewhere: 606 & 608 S Elm St, Greensboro, NC 27406
This store showed me how much you can do with found objects. Some "exhibits" were interesting like the ties hanging in bunches and others were a little frightening. I did love the separation of colorful objects in separate boxes. I found that a good way to display objects in the gallery or retail shop.


Picture taken from link: www.davidpetersenartworks.com/page/2/

The Moma 11 West 53 Street New York, New York 10019-5497
My visit to the Moma brought lighting and organization to my attention. How to display items in a fashionable manner and create transitional spaces. Along with traveling different exhibits, and viewing completely different forms of work. The Moma clearly expressed talent and all shapes and sizes. I enjoyed my walk through art and hope that The Hatchery reflects this sense of collaboration and different types of art working together.

Picture taken from link :tedmikulski.wordpress.com/.../



Los Angeles Center For Digital Art
107 West Fifth Street Los Angeles, CA 90013

A new take on art and graphics here is where our designers come into the picture.

Picture taken from link : www.abouttheimage.com/date/2006/02/


www.shaunachurch.com/detail.html?gallery=Rece...


On next to dance:
London Contemporary Dance School

Picture taken from link: www.ballet-dance.com/200402/articles/mercecla...

Another great dance school is in Lincoln Center : Juilliard


Picture taken from link : www.bgawebsites.org/.../mollysaint/nyc.html



Picture taken from link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Juilliard_School_-...

My next study was on the Tate Modern in London
Relating to the Moma the Tate Modern exhibits contemporary art and large installations. I see The Hatchery as a prospective space to have large installations due to the buildings tall ceilings and open front windows.

Picture taken from link: www.infobritain.co.uk/Tate_Modern.htm


Picture taken from link : http://garethjthomas.wordpress.com/page/2/


Picture taken from link : https:/.../SusongS/theatre_appreciation.htm

East Broadway Theater Stage

Picture taken from link :digital.library.louisville.edu/cdm4/item_view...

For the exterior of the Hatchery I view the balcony as a usable space and the skylight open to the first floor with a surrounding banister. I would love for the outside balcony to be this oasis of secret garden studio where students can paint, read, practice, or write poetry. I would love for the arts to extend towards the outside, and for the terrace to become a secret garden.
Here is an example by Kaffe Fassett Studio

Picture taken from link : www.kaffefassett.com/Mosaic.html


Finally we need a space for our CARS department. A fashion studio in collaboration with the mix of artists and talent.
Here is an example from the Royal College of Art

Picture taken from link : www.rca.ac.uk/.../F&T_fashion.studio.jpg

No comments: